The leadership challenge today is to engage knowledge workers in a continuous cycle of organizational learning.
- What are our true business needs and the relative value of addressing them?
- What solutions will best meet those needs today and into the future?
- How do teams most effectively produce those solutions and how do they continue to improve?
With the ever increasing pace of change and mounting level of complexity in our business environments, these types of questions are more and more difficult to answer. As a result today's most successful organizations are learning organizations that freely Experiment in reasoned ways; Reflect on the outcomes of those experiments; and then Adapt based on that learning.
Leadership perspectives must evolve as well. Leaders can no longer increase the productivity of the workforce by simply providing instructions and ensuring compliance. Successful leaders have a more situational perspective that allows them to focus on making good decisions about what work to take on, how to effectively do that work, and ensure frequent delivery of true value to the business. Successful leaders broadly communicate a compelling vision that engages the intrinsic motivations of the workforce.
- Leadership is not just about control, it is also about influence;
- Leadership is not just about operational results, it is also about organizational growth;
- Leadership is not just about directing, it is also about serving.
Start evolving your leadership today through a series of steps to establish a common leadership mindset, identify your organization's improvement goals, conduct personalized leadership assessments, create individual action plans, and start an evolution of leadership learning.